Friday, October 19, 2007

honey, what's for dinner??... "chickcan"....huh?!!!

My darling hubby made dinner for me yesterday and this is something that I really enjoy. This does not happen as often as I would like it, but whenever he gets the urge to cook GOSH!! you don't have to tell me twice....I clear the way. So I see he's got a whole chicken, spices, a potato, some beer and a weird looking contraption. so I take a seat around the kitchen table and I ask him;

me: "honey, what are you making?"
hubby: "Chicken"
me: "I can see that grumpy! how are you going to cook it?"
hubby: I don't know" w/ beer"

now, I'm thinking to myself I gotta see this. This from a man who's culinary expertise goes as far as boiling potatoes and frying some eggs. So I get comfortable.

I ask "where did you get this recipe from?"
hubby: "a buddy from work"

I'm very surprised!! again, this from a man who helps me out with the chores around the house, but wont let me tell anyone he does for fear of looking domesticated. OMG!! I tell him "what a sin" "you mop floors"....but I leave him alone. The last thing I want is for him to get upset and decide he wont ever cook for me. He then proceeds to tell me about his beer chicken. Sounds Yummy!!! I say, mind you I cringe at the thought of drinking beer. It all stems from a bad experience as a teenager. what else, I gave in to peer pressure and had one beer and boy was that a big mistake. I got so drunk and threw up so much that to this day I have never drank beer again. so, beer chicken does not sound as appetizing as my hubby is making it sound. so he proceeds to season the chicken with some rub-on seasoning and some of my homemade seasoning ( yes folks, I make my own seasoning) then he put a beer can in this thing called
a ChickCan Rack then prop the seasoned chicken on top of it put a small potato on the neck cavity.... " the potato will seal the heat inside the chicken and will keep it moist" my hubby says. I'm ready to fall out of my chair in shock, he is actually making something that requires touching raw meat, which he says cant do when I want him to do it and here he is going all out. Wow, did someone switch out my husband and sent me a Paula Deen wanna-be!! He then takes this chicken out to our grill and places it on the rack, turns it on and tells me that it will be ready in 2 hours. 30 minutes later.....Now I am really excited and I cannot tell a lie "the beer chicken is starting to smell really delicious" Over the course of the next 2 hours I watched my husband so diligently check and turn his chicken every 20 minutes or so, making sure it is cooking evenly.
Finally, I cant wait to try it, so I ask;

me: "is it ready yet?"
hubby: " Yes"
me: "yippee"
he removes the chicken from the grill and serves it on a big platter with salad and garlic bread....holy cow!! "X-mas came way early this year" I must say, it looked beautiful, it was so golden brown and it smelled delicious. He proceeds to carve out a piece of the breast for me. He places it on my plate and pretends like he is not looking at me, he just waits for my reaction and once I tasted it.....I just got up from the table and gave him the biggest hug and kiss. He did it, he actually made something edible and tasty and nutritious. I am so sorry I did not take a picture of it. I should have cause this was definitely something for the record books.
I was not so sure at first but I told him I cant wait until he makes it again and I promise folks, I will take a picture of it to sow you. Also, if some of you curious people want the recipe, leave me a comment and I will be more that happy to post it for you. Also, I can tell you where you can get the rack.

No comments: